Monday, December 27, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to Fix My Thyroid. 

I am new to the thyroid problem world, even though it is becoming more and more apparent that I have had problems for years - possibly up to 30 years!  I've spent hundreds of hours pouring over the internet and am now buying endocrinology textbooks so that I can try to figure out what is wrong with me...since I, like so many others I have read about on the internet, have run into rebar-reinforced brick walls in trying to get doctors to diagnose or treat me.  My number one problem - again, one that seems to be rampant in the thyroid problem world - is that the doctors I have seen to date rely strictly upon blood tests (TSH and TSH antibodies, to be specific).  As of 0900 on 27 December 2010 (the time of my last appointment with my endocrinologist), I have yet again been told I am fine.  Basically that time marks when my last straw spontaneously combusted.  Therefore, I am putting this blog together so that I can try to get my information out there and increase my chances of crossing paths with someone who will help me.

Please bear with me as I learn how to blog and as I, pretty much, compose a medical thesis.  I will soon post a list of my symptoms to date, the problems I've had with the medical community, and how I believe I ended up in this mess.  Once I can get the textbooks and other materials delievered, I will post my research.  Because I am not a doctor, but know my body better than they do, I want to make sure that everything I say - to include assessments/self-diagnoses - are completely supported by research.  I cannot take another doctor telling me that it is in my head or that I'm fine...when it is beyond obvious that I'm not.

I will also welcome comments and the like once I get this going.  In addition, if you or someone close to you has suffered the same, but has successfully found help, please pass along the name(s) (doctors), research materials or anything you feel pertinent.  I know how miserable I am at this time, and I'm tired and cannot bear to think that what I'm going through is common (that it is common for endocrinologists or other doctors to write people off because of bloodwork).  Maybe this will result in a foundation or improvements in the medical field; maybe I'll just spend further hundreds of hours spinning my wheels.  I cannot take a chance, though, that someone who knows something pertinent will read this.

So, again, welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Keep fighting,Terry!I intend to be with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it seems dark, but don't forget that your real friends are here with you when you're ready. Not pushing, just waiting. You're not in this alone :)

    ReplyDelete